The combination of lemon and berries has always been a favourite of mine, and one of my best friends. She wanted me to transform her favourite drink into a cupcake that she could enjoy all to herself.
For me, it takes me back to my childhood when I used to enjoy a glass of pink lemonade on a warm summer’s day and I remember always bring back the traditional pink lemonade powder from the US so that I could make it at home myself.
The one thing better than raspberry lemonade is having that sweet and fruity flavour in a cupcake – especially when they look like these! The simple elegance of the juicy lemon cake with the pink raspberry centre and lemon curd icing just screams scrumptious and sends your taste buds into meltdown.
They are so simple to make, yet so effective! Here are my top tips with this recipe:
- When you are making your raspberry coulis for the frosting – make sure you strain the solution so that the frosting remains a smooth consistency. Nothing worse that biting on raspberry seeds!
- The raspberry coulis needs to be a thick puree. If the solution is too liquid then the frosting will be too runny and will be difficult to pipe. And make sure it is COMPLETELY cooled – adding warm coulis to cool buttercream will melt the butter and you’ll end up with a runny mess
- If your frosting is a little runny and difficult to pipe, then add some more icing sugar to thicken it up. If it is too thick, add a little milk or cream
Makes: 12 cupcakes
For the cupcake:
- 125g Margarine
- 125g Caster sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 100g Self-raising flour
- 1tbsp Milk
- 2 Lemons
For the icing/decoration:
- Raspberry jam (for the filling)
- 12 Frozen raspberries
- Lemon zest
- 300ml Double cream
- 150ml Lemon curd
- Heat the oven to 180˚C.
- Whisk together the butter and caster sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, flour, milk and the zest of the two lemons and mix everything until smooth. Add a little squeeze of the juice and mix until thoroughly incorporated.
- Spoon evenly unto 12 cupcake cases (roughly two teaspoons). Place in the oven.
- Once the cupcakes are cooled, whisk the double cream and lemon curd together until fluffy and thick enough to pipe.
- Core the middle of your cupcake, place a frozen raspberry in the hole and pipe in the raspberry jam. Repeat this until complete on all cupcakes.
- Pipe the lemon icing onto your cakes and then top with lemon zest and a little raspberry jam.
- If you’re feeling creative, top with an additional frozen raspberry and candied lemon slice :).
SIMPLE, BUT DELICIOUS #YUM