A tasting is vital when you are ordering a cake for such a special event as your wedding day and I wouldn’t want to accept a wedding cake order without one.
Whether you pick your flavours in advance, or I create a few flavours for you to choose from, it is absolutely essential to ensure you get exactly what you want on the day.
Think about what your guests want, but ultimately, it should be flavours that you want. Whether that’s a four tier chocolately masterpiece, you want to surprise your guests with some ‘out there’ flavours or you want to stick to traditional fruit cake, it’s YOUR decision!
Things to think about when ordering a wedding cake:
- Flavours – some say this is the most important. As beautiful as the cake looks on the day, you’ve still got to eat it!
- Venue – the cake has to stand out in the venue but at the same time suit the venue’s decor. Think about this when choosing either a fondant covered lacey number or a rustic naked looking cake
- Guests- how many do you need to feed? Not all guests will want cake, but many will. My recommendation would be to cater for three quarters of your guests
- Colours – what is your colour theme? Do you want the cake to be flawless white, or match your colours?
- Stand – does the wedding venue provide a dedicated wedding cake stand? Most do, but others don’t. I will provide the cake on an iced board, but any stands will come at an additional cost. A popular stand these days is a tree stump for that rustic feel
- Detail – do you want any ribbon on the cake? Any beading or fresh flowers? Do you want real flowers – perhaps those that you are using in your bouquet? Or would you prefer fondant/sugar paste flowers? Perhaps a combination of the two? Don’t go too over the top though, too much detail can detract from the elegance
- Flowers – if you decide to use real flowers, will these be provided by your florist so that they are matching or would you like the baker to provide them? I am always happy for the florist to provide them as that ensures the same flowers are used. I am also always happy for the florist to help assist with the arrangement. After all, they are the flower expert!
- Covering – fondant, buttercream, sugar paste, naked….the possibilities are endless. All of my cakes are bespoke and made to your requirements and what you want for your wedding
- Additions – do you want a bespoke topper? Do you want additional cupcakes?
There are many things to think about when looking to order a wedding cake and worth thinking about these before you meet with your chosen baker so they can live your vision with you.